1 hr 30 mins
My random bouts of laziness occasionally lead to some real gems in the kitchen. We thought this was one of them. I like tomato based beef stews but get tired of them. Then I have to contend with the leftovers. Using what was in my pantry, freezer and fridge, Meal #1 produced a rich and flavorful brown-gravy type stew with very little effort and included my lazy-woman plan to use up the leftovers - Meal #2. ;-) As written, the *two* of us dined well *twice* with nothing left except satisfied bellies and empty plates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
MEAL 1 - Savory Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced button mushroom
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (Omit if you prefer, we liked it) (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth (or use another can of beef broth)
MEAL 2 - Stroganoff Topped Potatoes
- 1MEAL 1:.
- 2Heat the oil in large stew pan over medium-high flame.
- 3Dredge meat cubes in flour then place them in the oil. Brown on all sides then remove with a slotted spoon.
- 4In the same pan, saute the onions and carrots until onions are tender.
- 5Carefully pour in the wine, stirring and scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- 6Return meat to the pan and add all remaining ingredients.
- 7Cover and simmer until potatoes, meat and carrots are tender; about 45 minutes.
- 8Taste for seasoning; add more salt and pepper if needed.
- 9Serve in bowls, garnished with minced fresh parsley and hot crusty bread on the side.
- 10After eating and resting a bit, attend to the cooled leftovers by removing and discarding any remaining potatoes and carrots.
- 11Refrigerate(or freeze) meat/broth/mushrooms etc. until time for Meal #2.
- 12MEAL 2:.
- 13Bake potatoes per your usual method.
- 14As they bake, reheat your stew.
- 15When stew is hot, remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- 16N.B.: The amount of broth you had leftover will determine the amount of sour cream to use. Add more or less to reach your desired taste and consistency.
- 17Split open those hot, fluffy baked potatoes and generously spoon stroganoff over the top.
- 18Enjoy again!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook Once Eat Twice - Beef Stew and Stroganoff for 2
Serving Size: 1 (850 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.5
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 2877.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 42.0 g