Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Add broth to a 10-inch non-stick skillet.
- Over medium-high heat bring to a boil.
- Add garlic, green onion, and bell peppers.
- Cook in broth for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently; cook until peppers are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Continue to cook and stir occasionally until mixture is heated throughly.
- We like a strong cumin flavor but if you are unsure, start low and work your way up.
This rice made my house smell oh so wonderful! I made this as part of a dinner party we're giving one of the best couples we've known in a long time(its a surprise party for them for their 7th anniversary which makes it all the more exciting!). Now abt the rice... I used 4 3/4 cups of Maggi vegetable broth with onions, 3/4 cup of chopped green onions(I ran out of more!), 1/2 tsp. freshly ground cumin(I like adding the spices fresh as it brings out their whole flavour!), a little over 1/2 tbsp. soya sauce, 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped green bell peppers'(did not have red ones on hand), 2 tbsps. oil(to saute the garlic, green bell peppers' and the green onions), 2 cups Basmati long-grain rice(uncooked), 1 carrot(half of which I chopped into small cubes and 1/2 of which I finely shredded). Since we're having 4 kids eat too tonight, I did not use pepper at all. No salt as well because the broth contained plenty already. My house smelt sooooooooooo good while this was cooking that my mom who was fast asleep woke up and came running to the kitchen to ask me what was I making. LOL!! We just did our "taste test" and we loved the rice! In particular, I love the burst of the flavour of cumin in this. Thanks so much for a really comforting rice dish!