Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Back in Fall River Ma. I would go down to Dirty Nick's for 5 or 6 "Gaggers" At the end of the night, and this is my version of the coney island sauce!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups water (I use beer)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup onion (cut fine)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- Place the hamburger and onion a heavy skillet and brown. Add water and remaining ingredients.
- Stir mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The finished consistency should be more on the thicker side not thin.
- Add a boiled hot dog (I like the cheap ones) to a steamed bun, (I like the New England hot dog rolls) add mustard, coney island sauce, chopped onions and a sprinkle of celery salt and ENJOY!
I used to live in Swansea Ma., and went to Nick's all the time. While this recipe is mediocre at best, it doesn't even come close to resemblance. Reminds me of when Emeril does a take on a recipe....usually screws it up, as this sauce recipe did. sorry, NO stars