Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is posted by request and was found on the net-no name was attached.
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 1⁄4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To make soup stir together 1/3 cup of the dry mix and 1& 1/4 cup water in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- You can add 1 can of diced cooked chicken or turkey, frozen broccoli, or dried tomato powder or paste-- whatever you can think of.
- You can boil dried mushrooms in the water called for for a cream of mushroom soup.
- This mixture will make a total of 9 cans of condensed soup.
This recipe is a very good low-fat substitute for cream soup. I have used it as a base for tuna fish casserole. Thanks for sharing. SharonP.
Yaaaaay, Di! Thank you a billion for posting this. I don't like buying canned soups because a) I like to know what's in my food (and how to pronounce everything that's in it) and b) they just don't seem economical to me and c) I just don't have room to store tons of cans in my tiny kitchen. This is a godsend. I cut the recipe way down to only make 2 cans-worth of soup and have only used one so far, for Chicken Enchiladas #24041, which it worked quite well for. Oh- I forgot- I don't keep boullion granules on-hand so I just added some better-than-boullion with the water. This didn't get quite as thick as canned cream-of-crap soup is, but maybe I didn't cook it long enough, or maybe if I let it cool longer? In any case, it worked perfectly in the recipe which is what really matters. It definitely does not taste low fat even though it is! The thyme and basil add a very nice flavor. I look forward to using this often and I can't thank you enough for posting!
Very good. I made little shrimp pot pies with this, which I haven't made in years because I don't like to make recipes that include canned soup. I left out the chicken bouillon granules and just put in a bit of Better Than Bouillon when I mixed up my pie filling. Worked like a charm. This has opened up a whole bunch of possibilities to me that weren't doable before. Thanks a mil.