Recipe by waterbaby09
I picked up Chioggia beets at the farmers market. They were sweet and tender addition to red beets.
Top Review by threeovens
This went over very well at my house. I have not yet been able to find chiogga beets, in fact I tried to grow them last year, but they didn't happen. The recipe worked just fine and dandy with red beets and was still pretty enough to eat! Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 1 lb beet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat (toaster) oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash beets and cut the stalks. Put beets on a sheet of aluminum foil and form a pouch, sealing tightly. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow beets to steam in pouch 10 minutes longer. Take beets out of pouch; place in refrigerator. When cool, slip beets out of their skins and slice. Set aside.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk together mustard, vinegar, and sugar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss beets with the vinaigrette and serve on a bed of arugula.