Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can also use this recipe with turnip greens or mustard greens. For something different use all three greens. Serve with corn bread and sliced tomatoes.
- 2 lbs collard greens
- 1 ham hocks, smoked turkey wing or 6 slices of cooked bacon with pan drippings
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken stock
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- Clean and wash greens well; remove tough stems and ribs.
- Cut them up and place in a deep pot; add ham hock, turkey wing or bacon to the pot.
- Add salt, sugar, chicken stock and enough water to cover greens bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings.
This is how I make my collard greens except that I usually put my smoked meat on to simmer for about an hour before I add the collards. Sometimes I'll throw in a garlic clove. The posted picture looks a lot like my cooked collard greens. Simple goodness.
The ingredients sound just about right, but there is NO WAY a ham hock will be done in an hour. Cook the ham hock before until it's tender, but not done and then add the rest of the ingredients. I just had to comment.