Recipe by Douglas Poe
You can also use this recipe with turnip greens or mustard greens. For something different use all three greens. Serve with corn bread and sliced tomatoes.
Top Review by Ms. B
This is how I make my collard greens except that I usually put my smoked meat on to simmer for about an hour before I add the collards. Sometimes I'll throw in a garlic clove. The posted picture looks a lot like my cooked collard greens. Simple goodness.
- 2 lbs collard greens
- 1 ham hocks, smoked turkey wing or 6 slices of cooked bacon with pan drippings
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken stock
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and wash greens well; remove tough stems and ribs.
- Cut them up and place in a deep pot; add ham hock, turkey wing or bacon to the pot.
- Add salt, sugar, chicken stock and enough water to cover greens bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings.