Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A tasty coleslaw with a difference - and no mayonnaise!
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup rough chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (2/3 Canola and 1/3 Walnut)
- Place prepared cabbage, onion, carrot, walnut& raisins into large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In saucepan heat to boiling the sugar, salt, celery seed, dry mustard, pepper and vinegar.
- Add oil and bring to a boil again.
- Remove from heat and pour over cabbage mixture.
- Toss to combine.
- Cover and chill before serving.
I've made this recipe w/ red cabbage and craisins- and gotten rave reviews, I love that there's no mayo and it makes a great take to work salad the next day!
Loved this recipe, so do all the family. Have substituted apple cider vinegar with white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, depending what I have in the cupboard. The walnuts are an essentail item to this coleslaw, and so is the chilling. Have made this many many times and will continue to do so
Delicious!!! I omited walnuts and raisins, substituted splenda for sugar and used 2 Tablespoons sesame oil (I'm trying to loose weight)and used prepackaged coleslaw mix. So easy to make. Personally I think it is just a good first made warm as it is cold. A definate keeper. Thanks for posting Bertie.