Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Absurd you say? This recipe will make you happy to “eat your words”! Spring is here. Grills are being cleaned, polished, and prepared for the Spring and Summer barbeque season. When shopping at your local grocery store, consider serving a Coffee Rubbed Steak for your next backyard outing.
- 2 steaks (your favorite rib eye, T-Bone, New York Strip)
- 4 teaspoons your favorite ground dark roast coffee, Fine or 4 teaspoons espresso
- 2 teaspoons oil
- salt and pepper
- add your favorite other spices
- Select your favorite cut of steak – Ribeye, T-Bone, or New York works well. Make sure the cut is 2” or better. The grade should be choice or above.
- Select your favorite dark roast coffee. Fine, Espresso, or Turkish grind will suffice.
- Select an Olive or Canola Oil.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet. Brush the oil on both sides of the steak. Apply salt and pepper liberally. Any other favorite spices can be applied, such as mustard, ginger, oregano, etc.
- Hand rub 2 tablespoons of coffee onto one side of the steak. Cook approximately 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip each steak and repeat the coffee rub.
- Finish each steak off on the grill.
Although I haven't tried your specific recipe, I have used one similar, especially for coating steak to make chili. Coffee adds and amazing flavor. I highly recommend mixing it with some chili powder for a nice kick!