Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found in the Best Simple Recipes cookbook. A tangy mustard-mayonnaise mixture seasoned with tarragon and garlic which is the "glue" for the bread-crumb topping (which uses panko crumbs for more of a crunch) while parcooking the potatoes in the microwave first before baking them with the fish helps make this recipe ready in less than 30 minutes. Haddock or halibut fillets are good alternatives for the cod.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt, and pepepr
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon, juie
- 4 skinless cod fish fillets, 1 1/4 inches thick (6 oz each)
- Adjust oven rack to uppper-middle position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack and heat oven to 500 degrees. Meanwhile, toss potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Microwave, covered, until tender 4-8 minutes.
- Combine mustard, tarragon and garlic in bowl. Toss half of mustard mixture, bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon oil in medium bowl. Whisk mayonnaise and lemon juice into remaining mustard mixture. Pat fish dry with paper towels. Coat top and sides of fish with mayonnaise mixture, then dredge in crumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Brush preheated baking sheet with remaining oil. Arrange fish, crumb side up, in center of baking sheet and scatter potatoes around fish. Bake until fish is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer fish to platter, tent loosely with foil, and heat broiler. Broil potatoes until spotty brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer potatoes to platter. Serve.