Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Variation of the Haru-maki with a tropical touch
- 8 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1 egg roll wrap
- 3 ounces crabmeat, lump type
- 3 ounces wakame seaweed
- 3 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko)
- 3 ounces shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- wooden skewer
- sweet and sour sauce, for dipping
- mango chutney, for dipping
- Use a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, and heat the oil to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the eggroll paper into 1 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Lay the eggroll wrapper strips on a cutting board.
- Top with 1-ounce each of crabmeat and seaweed salad.
- Place each shrimp on a wooden skewer and lay on the filled wrapper.
- Wrap the shrimp tightly in the egg roll skin, sealing the end with egg wash.
- Dredge each wrapped shrimp in flour, then in the egg wash again and finally in the mixture of shredded coconut, sesame seeds and bread crumbs.
- Deep-fry each skewer until they are golden brown and the shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce and mango chutney for dipping.