A very tasty coconut ahrimp.
Make and share this Coconut Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 teaspoon spoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons spoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 4 red chilies
- 3 tablespoons dry coconut paste (fresh or flakes, anything can be used)
- 2 medium size onions (very finely chopped)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil, to cook
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Devein and clean the shrimp.
- wash it and pat it dry with paper towel.
- Mix 2 teaspoon salt, turmeric and lemon juice.
- Leave it to marinate for about 1/2 an hour.
- In a wok or frying pan (avoid non stick) heat the oil.
- In the oil fry the minced onions, garlic, ginger paste, cumin, coriander, mustard seed powder, 1 teaspoon salt and chili. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut paste and tomatoes. Keep stirring till the spices look separated from the oil (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the water. If you want thick gravy you can add less water.
- Once the gravy start boiling, drop in the shrimp (throw away the marinade) and boil on low medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Do not overcook the shrimp, otherwise it will become very chewy.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
This was a big hit with my family. For the gravy, I used 3/4 cup coconut milk and 3/4 cup water, and served over rice cooked in fresh ginger and coconut milk. The flavor was great, and it was a cinch to make. I know we will be enjoying this often. Thank for a great recipe!