Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother used to make this with Curried Meatballs and Potatoes. It comes from Hyderabad, India and it's a quick and easy variation on plain steamed rice.
- 2 cups basmati rice (or long grained rice)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or veg oil)
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄3 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of grated creamed coconut
- 1⁄2 medium onion, very finely chopped
- Heat the oil and saute onions, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms until onions are golden brown.
- Add the rice and stir till they look translucent (just a minute or two).
- Add water, salt, coconut, and turmeric.
- Bring to the point of boiling (when you see a bubble or two, turn the heat down to medium and cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed).
- Turn off the heat.
- Let it sit covered for about 15 min before serving.
Delicious - and so easy. No garlic in the house and used a can of cocnut milk instead of grated coconut(subbed for some of the water). Used a little ground cardomom instead of whole cardomoms, but it turned out really good. Very yummy side dish for barbecued ribs and chicken!