Recipe by Mark H.
This recipe was given to me by an Irish lady at work. Very good and easy to make.
Top Review by Caryn
This is the best coconut pound cake recipe I've made thus far! The coconut extract is just what the recipe needs to give it the coconut flavor; not just the coconut texture with a bit of flavor. I absolutely loved the idea of the syrup on the cake rather than a glaze. At first I thought it would make the cake very sweet but the syrup on the cake is actually less sweet than a glaze. The syrup adds to the moistness of the cake and provides a different twist from a traditional glaze. I used butter rather than oleo just because I prefer to bake with butter and did not use the rum extract because I didn't have any on hand(also not a big rum fan so I'm not sure if I'd like it). The one thing I needed was a pastry brush to brush on the glaze. It was a little difficult trying to drizzle it to get the same effect as a brush. The recipe doesn't call for it but, I'm probably going to keep the cake in the refrigerator as the moistness may cause the cake to mold quickly. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
- 354.88 ml butter, softened
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 6 eggs
- 709.77 ml flour
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 226.79 g sour cream
- 4.92 ml coconut extract
- 4.92 ml rum extract
- 236.59 ml flaked coconut
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a bundt cake pan or a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
- Add sour cream, Coconut extract, and Rum extract to the sugar/butter/egg mixture and cream well.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix into a batter.
- Stir flaked coconut into the batter.
- Spoon batter into the greased pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 1/4 hours or until toothpich inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- While cake is cooling, make the syrup by combining the water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in Almond extract.
- Before removing cake from pan, brush about 1/3 of the warm syrup onto the cake bottom.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate and brush on the remaining syrup.
- Allow the cake to completely cool, then serve.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container.