Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My unique twists on the traditional coconut macaroon. The 20 minutes for cook time, is 20 minutes per batch.
- 1 (14 ounce) package sweetened coconut (5 1/3 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- NOTE:To cut this recipe in half, use one.
- 7 ounce package of flaked coconut, 1/3 cup.
- of sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt (dash). Also 1.
- Mix coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl. Stir in egg whites (not whipped) and almond extract until well blended.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto greased and floured cookie sheets.
- Bake 325F for 20 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons:If making the full batch, melt a 16-ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate.
- squares. I just stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes; after the first minute has passed I check it to see if it's fully.
- melted. Chocolate retains shape when you melt it, so after the 2 minutes is up, stir to break up the chocolate squares.
- that remain to achieve a smooth consistency. Dip baked coconut macaroons (allow to cool first) halfway inches.
- melted chocolate. Space apart (so they don't stick to each other) on parchment paper lined baking sheets (or you.
- can just use big dinner plates) and put in refrigerator. Chill for a half hour to allow chocolate to harden. I use.
- parchment paper because they don't stick when you remove them from the plates or cookie sheets.
- Chocolate-Orange Coconut Macaroons: Follow procedure described above for making chocolate dipped coconut.
- macaroons. Follow recipe as directed, except replace almond extract with 1 t of pure orange extract.
- Minted Chocolate Coconut Macaroons: Follow procedure described above for making chocolate dipped coconut.
- macaroons. Follow recipe as directed, except replace almond extract with 1 t of pure peppermint extract.
- Mocha Macaroons:Follow procedure as described above for making coconut macaroons except replace almond extract with 1 T of instant coffee granules.