Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
"HEAVENLY" - this pie is so easy to make (especially if you use a store bought pie shell) and so easy to eat!!! Try it - you will not be disappointed !!!! Prep & cook time does not include refrigeration time (2 - 3 hrs).
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- Bake pie shell according to package or recipe directions.
- Let cool.
- In saucepan, heat milk and coconut over medium heat until steaming.
- In large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of sugar (or Splenda) with cornstarch; whisk in eggs until blended.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture in thin, steady stream.
- Return to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened to pudding consistency.
- Transfer to bowl; stir in vanilla (or Coconut extract).
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cool.
- In bowl, using electric mixter, whip whipping cream with remaining sugar (or Splenda) to soft peaks.
- Set aside 1 1/2 cups whipped cream aside.
- Fold remaining cream into cooled filling; spread into pie shell.
- Using piping bag with star tip, garnish top with reserved whipped cream- or just spread with a spoon.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
I LOVE this pie! Simple in both method & taste, the finished product highlights the vanilla & coconut flavors without a bunch of other things trying to compete. I used 2% milk & heavy whipping cream (I didn't know what 35% cream was) & could not be happier with the final result. Thank you for sharing, City_Gurl! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. :)