Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
"Ahhhhhhh"-mazzzing!!!! VARIATION:You can make Banana Cream pie by Omitting the coconut from the custard & place 2 ripe bananas on top of the pie shell, pouring the custard on top.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum or 1 teaspoon Bourbon
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- (I use the Crisco pie shell recipe).
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Combine flour, 1/2 c sugar, and salt. set aside.
- Heat milk on med-high until small bubbles appear at the edge. Pour scalded milk into flour mixture and cook until it thickens, 2-3 minutes.
- In a Lg. Bowl: whisk together egg yolks and add 1 TBS custard mixture (still on stovetop). Blend in vanilla, butter and rum (or bourbon). Cook 2 minutes more. Remove the bowl from the heat, and let cool, stirring a couple times. Fold in 1 cup of coconut and pour into pie shell, smooth out evenly.
- In a Lg bowl, whip egg whites until STIFF. Add 5 TBS Sugar & continue to whip for 2 minutes until its glossy and stiff are formed peaks when beater is removed. Spread meringue over custard on pie. Bake 10-15min. Or until meringue is lightly browned.
- **CUT with a knife dipped in warm water for ea. slice.