2 hrs 25 mins
This six layer cake is a showstopper!! It is worth every effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 14 ounces canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1For coconut custard filling: Beat eggs, flour,and sugar in large bowl.
- 2Place half and half, vanilla, and coconut in heavy large suacepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 3Gradually whisk coconut mixture into egg mixture.
- 4Return to pan and whisk over medium heat until mixture boils, about 6 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Whisk in butter.
- 7Transfer to large bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface and chill until cold at least 3 hours.
- 8For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F Spray three eight inch cake pans with vegetable spray.
- 9Line bottoms of pans with parchment and spray the parchment.
- 10Sift flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until creamy about 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time blending well after each addition.
- 11Beat in vanilla.
- 12Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with coconut milk in 2 additions.
- 13Divide batter between pans, smooth tops.
- 14Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes.
- 15Cool cakes in pans on racks 5 minutes.
- 16Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely.
- 17Using serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place cake halves on baking sheets in single layer and freeze 1 hour for easy assembly.
- 18For Buttercream; Whisk first 4 ingredients in heavy small saucepan.
- 19Cook over medium heat until mixture just begins to boil.
- 20Transfer to small bowl, cover and chill about 2 hours.
- 21Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and salt in large bowl until fluffy, about 7 minutes.
- 22Gradually beat in cold vanilla base until smooth.
- 23To assemble:.
- 24Place 1 cake round on plate.
- 25Spread 1 c filling over. Repeat with 4 more cake layer and remaining filling.
- 26Top with remaining cake layer, pressing to adhere.
- 27Spread buttercream over sides and top of cake.
- 28Press toasted coconut onto top and sides of cake to cover.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1519.8
- Calories from Fat 905
- Total Fat 100.6 g
- Saturated Fat 70.9 g
- Cholesterol 345.1 mg
- Sodium 783.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 145.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 99.7 g
- Protein 16.2 g