Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The recipe fulfills an inherent need for coconut comfort food.
- 1 (1 lb) loaf white bread, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, julienne cut
- 30 ounces cream of coconut
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate shavings
- whipped cream
- toasted coconut
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line bottom of a 10" X 13" X 3" pan with half of the white bread.
- Evenly sprinkly half of the julienne apricots and half of the shredded coconut over the white bread.
- Top that with the remaining bread cubes and then the remaining apricots and coconut.
- Distribute evenly.
- In a sauce pan, heat milk, coconut cream, vanilla and granulated sugar until the sugar completely dissolves and the milk is tepid but not hot.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then temper them by slowly adding 1 cup of warm milk mixture while stirring.
- Slowly pour the egg/milk mixture back in the warm milk and stir until well incorporated.
- Ladle the mixture over the bread, making sure all the bread gets moist.
- Cover with foil and bake in a water bath for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on one side and whipped cream on the other.
- Sprinkle whipped cream with chocolate shavings and dust bread pudding with powdered sugar.
- Finish with toasted coconut on the ice cream.
This recipe was extremely easy to prepare, but I thought was WAY TOO sweet for my family's liking. I think next time, I'll use 1/2 the amount of sugar..