Recipe by ladypit
This is heavily adapted from a recipe I found in a great cookbook called "Sweet and Natural" by Janet Warrington. The dates add enough sweetness that you don't need sugar. This is not a super fudgy or super sweet cookie. But it is a nice little drop cookie when you want something tasty and relatively healthy!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Although these cookies were made with no sugar at all, my DH really liked them, I did increase the cinnamon and vanilla quite a bit, make certain to genorously grease your baking pan, these cookies really stick to the pan! it's a wonderful way to use up extra dates! thanks for sharing ladypit!...Kitten:)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed pitted dates (about 40)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet (or two small ones) with cooking spray.
- Mix together the flour through nuts. Set aside.
- In a blender combine the dates, the eggs, the water, and the vanilla. Mix until the dates are broken up and everything is combined. This might take a few minutes and you might need to use a spatula to mix it all up.
- Add the cocoa powder to the blender and mix again. It is ok if there are little date pieces.
- Pour the blender mix into the dry and mix well. It will be fairly stiff.
- Using two tablespoons, drop the cookies onto the sprayed cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cookie comes out clean.