Prep 9 mins
Cook 30 mins
It was time to clean out the icebox before things started to go bad. I started chopping all of the veggies and adding whatever I ran across. This is the end result. My boyfriend really liked it and told me "Hurry up and go post it so you don't forget what you did! I want this again!" The bad part is I didn't really measure anything so I had to sort of guess how much went in the pan. What is really cool about this is you can add whatever you want or leave out what you don't. Leave out the chicken and it's a vegetarian treat!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced fine
- 2 stalks celery, diced fine
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on tastes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter (not margerine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked (reserve 1 cup of the cooking water)
- Throw all ingredients except the penne and penne cooking water in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Cook on medium heat until chicken is done.
- (20-30 minutes).
- Cut chicken in to bite sized pieces.
- Add pasta water and pasta and toss to coat.
I really liked the flavor of the vegetables and seasonings with the pasta. The touch of bacon was really nice. As expected, leftovers on the second day were even better and the pasta had absorbed most of the liquid. Next time, I will thicken the broth with tomato paste or cream. For our tastes we prefer a creamier or thicker sauce with pasta. Great "clean-out" recipe.