1/1 Photo of Clay-Pot Chicken in Oyster Sauce
1 hr 45 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This dish is terrific on a cold winter night. I got the recipe from "A Spoonful of Ginger" by Nina Simonds. Also, I like the way the chicken is browned in step 2 and use that method whenever I have a recipe that calls for browning chicken. Prep time includes marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 whole scallions, ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 2 inches chunk fresh ginger, peeled, then cut into 6 slices
- 3 1/2-4 lbs chicken pieces, rinsed and drained
- 10 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes until soft, stems removed, caps cut into thirds
- 1Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces and turn to coat them with the marinade.
- 2Cover with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate for 30 minute or longer in the refrigerator.
- 3Preheat oven to 475° Arrange the chicken pieces, with the marinade and the drained black mushrooms, on cookie sheets lined with aluminum foil.
- 4Roast for 15 minutes, turning once, until the skin is golden. Remove.
- 5Transfer the browned chicken and mushrooms to a clay pot, dutch oven, or a casserole with a lid. Add the braising sauce and heat until the liquid is boiling.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover, and cook for 45 minutes, until the meat is very tender.
- 7Skim any fat from the surface.
- 8The sauce should be slightly thick. If it hasn't thickened sufficiently, heat until boiling, add a little cornstarch dissolved in water, and cook, stirring, until the sauce has a smooth coating consistency.
- 9Scoop the chicken and sauce onto a serving platter or serve from the pot.
- 10Steamed rice and a vegetable go good with this dish.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clay-Pot Chicken in Oyster Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 120.7 mg
- Sodium 886.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese black mushrooms