Clay-Pot Orange Chicken
I found this somewhere on the internet.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced (reserve the rinds)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cornstarch, to thicken
- Presoak pot, top and bottom, in water for fifteen minutes.
- Wash chicken, inside and out, under running cold water.
- Rub inside of chicken with salt, pepper and pressed garlic.
- Stuff with orange slices, peeled.
- Place chicken in pot, breast down.
- Grate the orange rind and sprinkle over chicken.
- Add orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, allspice and brown sugar.
- Place covered pot in cold oven. Turn temperature to 250°C.
- Cook 90 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Ten minutes before done, remove from oven, pour liquid into saucepan.
- Return the pot, uncovered, to oven for final 10 minutes to brown the chicken.
- Meanwhile, bring sauce to a boil and thicken with cornstarch or arrowroot.
- You may want to add a bit of brown sugar to the sauce, to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Pretty much followed the recipe, but I did use 2 large cloves of garlic & the oranges were also large ones! Loved the combo of spices here & the chicken, when served, was outstanding! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed as a recipenapped tag in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]1Reply
Hubby and I liked this very much. I do not have a clay pot, so I made it in a regular roasting pan. I upped the amount of garlic, I used 4 cloves to put inside the chicken, and then I also put 2 in the juice mixture that is poured over top the chicken. I must say I think next time I will use more because I could not taste it very much. Also, my chicken took longer than 90 minutes to cook. I added 20 minutes to the cooking time, and carved it and found it was still too uncooked for our tastes, so I just roasted the carvings in the oven, covered with some of the orange slices and juice for around 10 minutes more. Besides more garlic, there isn't anything else I would change about this recipe. Thanks for posting!Reply
see 1 more