Recipe by mersaydees
This is based on a recipe from The Best of Clay Pot Cooking cookbook. The intro says, "In Africa, peanuts are called groundnuts and are often pounded to a paste and used in soups, stews, and sauces. Here, peanut butter, tomatoes, and spices combine to make a creamy, rich sauce for this beef stew. Serve it with steamed collard greens or kale or a leafy green salad."
Top Review by glwebster
This stew was excellent! I did find that it needed a little salt.So many African recipes call for sweet potatoes that I decided to add some. I lined the bottom of the clay pot with slices , topped with the browned beef, then added the veggies and sauce. I served with rice pilaf with almonds. I plan to use this for company fare.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 lbs lean beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter, smooth-style
- 4 -5 canned plum tomatoes, with juice, chopped, plus enough of their juice to make 1 cup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half the beef and brown well on all sides.
- Place the meat in a soaked 3-quart clay pot.
- Brown remaining beef in additional 1 tablespoon oil. Add this batch to pot.
- Add the broth to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the skillet over medium-high heat and heat the remaining oil.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger, and saute for about 8 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the sauteed vegetables to the clay pot.
- Add the peanut butter, tomatoes, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, hot-pepper flakes, and lemon juice to the reserved broth, mixing until well combined. Add this to the pot and stir to coat meat and vegetables.
- Cover the pot and place it in a cold oven.
- Set the oven temperature to 450 degrees F and cook for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender and the sauce thick and creamy.