1/3 Photos of Classic Roast Chicken and Gravy
1 hr 10 mins
A Canadian Living recipe, tested until perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 lb) chicken
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed dried sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1Remove giblets and neck, if present, from chicken; rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Place onion and garlic in cavity; squeeze juice from lemon and set aside; add lemon to cavity.
- 3Tie legs together with kitchen string; tuck wings under back; brush all over with oil; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; place, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan; roast, uncovered; in 325F (160C) oven for 1 ½ hours.
- 4Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until juices run clear when thigh is pierced and meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 185F (85C), about 1 ½ hours; transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- 5Skim fat from pan juices; sprinkle flour over juices; cook over medium-high heat, whisking, for 1 minute; gradually pour in chicken stock and reserved lemon juice, whisking until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes; pour into warmed gravy boat.
- 6Cut string holding legs together; discard onion, lemon and garlic; using kitchen scissors, cut chicken into 2 breast and 2 leg portions; cut each breast in half diagonally; cut through each leg at joint to separate into drumsticks and thighs; serve with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Roast Chicken and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.6
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 398.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 44.1 g