1/3 Photos of Classic Macaroni and Cheese from Fine Cooking
This is best assembled ahead. Pasta will soak up sauce. Sprinkle on crumbs just before baking. A wonderful version of a classic dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 9 black peppercorns
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 6 cups finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees and butter 9x13" baking dish.
- 2Cook macaroni according to package directions just until tender and drain well.
- 3Melt 12 tablespoons of butter in a heavy-based medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, onion, bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns; reduce heat to medium low and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, to make a roux. Slowly whisk the milk into rux until smooth and blended. Raise heat to medium-high; whisk constantly until mixture boils. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Lower heat and continue simmering for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Strain sauce into a large bowl, removing the onion, herbs, and peppercorns. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Toss pasta with cheese sauce and pour mixture into baking dish.
- 5Melt last 2 tablespoons butter and toss with breadcrumbs. Spread the buttered curmbs over casserole. Bake until sizzling and lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Cover with foil is browns too quickly.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Macaroni and Cheese from Fine Cooking
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1205.7
- Calories from Fat 654
- Total Fat 72.7 g
- Saturated Fat 44.7 g
- Cholesterol 208.1 mg
- Sodium 947.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: