Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Classic comfort food just like Momma made! BHG classic recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 4 cups milk (we use skim)
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large sauce pan melt butter. Cook onion in butter till tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook one minute.
- Pour in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, be sure to scrape bottom as it cooks. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in cheese. Heat and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cooked macaroni. Pour into large 3 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this recipe on 4/19/09 as part of mine and SO's dinner. And I followed the recipe as written, except for cutting it in half.For the pasta, a mix of penne and elbow was used.This mac and cheese was comfort food at it's finest, creamy and soul satisfying. What more can you ask from a mac and cheese ? This " WILL" be made again. Thank you so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "