Recipe by Vino Girl
Top Review by mengman
Excellent recipe! I have used it four times now. It is fantastic toasted as that brings out the flax flavor even more. My DH loves it.
Twice I have substitutied 2 cups whole wheat flour instead of white and it's really good with that. I also have added a handful or two of whole flax seeds for extra texture. I have doubled the yeast the last couple of times now that helps it raise to a better size. My first loaves were a little smaller than I wanted.
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fast rising instant yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside 1 cup flour.
- Mix remaining flour, flax seed, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Heat water, milk, and oil until hot to the touch (about 125-130°F) but DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir milk mixture into dry mixture. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to the bowl.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in 1/2 and shape into loaves.
- Place into 2 greased (8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch) loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in volume (about 40-50 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.