Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is great crock pot soup recipe. I found it on the internet under Southern U.S. Cuisine back in 2000 & have been using it ever since.
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef (I usually use beef bones from chuck or other roasts or steaks, with some meat left on them)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- salt & pepper
- Brown ground meat or beef bones (I'll usually throw in a marrow bone too, for the great flavor), onion & garlic in skillet. Transfer meat mixture to crockpot; add barley & remaining ingredients. Cover & cook on high 1 hour then on low 5-6 hours.
- This soup tastes just like the kind your Grandmother used to make. It's delicious -- .
Very good soup. I used a little less tomatoes, family preference. Next time I may use two cans of tomato soup to make up the difference, just to give the flavor a little boost. This feels so "hearty" for a fall day! Made for 3 Chefs Challenge, November 2009, thanks for posting!