Nif's Hearty Healthy Beef Barley Soup
photo by PanNan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
1 huge pot of soup
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, trimmed, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushrooms, use juice too (if using whole mushrooms, cut in half)
- 1 3⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 12 cups nonfat beef broth (substitute chicken if no beef)
- 2 bay leaves
- Spray large pot with extra virgin olive oil spray. Over med-high heat, lightly brown beef and then add veggies, except for mushrooms. Saute for a 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaf, barley, mushrooms (with juice). Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until barley and veggies are tender. Remove bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really enjoyed this light and healthy, yet hearty, soup for lunch. I had to use half beef and half chicken broth as that's what I had on hand. Because I made this for the Welsh leg of CQ4, I just had to make and add a bouquet garni of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme from my garden while it was simmering on the stove. It added subtle herb flavor. It makes a lot so I'll be enjoying the leftover soup in my lunch this week.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!