1 hr 30 mins
These are wonderful not-too-sweet gingerbread-like cookies. The icing sets up like royal, except it is soft inside the hardened shell. They freeze great, and are terrific for gift-giving, as they package beautifully. I make them for Halloween in the shape of bats and covered with orange sprinkles and for thanksgiving as leaves with no sprinkles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shortening (not butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1Cream shortening and sugar, add molasses and eggs and buttermilk.
- 2Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, then add to creamed mixture.
- 3Refrigerate for an hour or so, until slightly firm.
- 4Roll out at about 1/4" (thicker for more cakelike cookies, thinner for crispier ones - they're good both ways).
- 5Cut out (traditionally with a SPAM can, but to each her own).
- 6Bake at 325 for about 12-15 minutes.
- 7When cookies are cool, whip up the icing.
- 8In saucepan, dissolve gelatin in cold water.
- 9Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 10While simmering, add 3 C powdered sugar to a large straight-sided bowl and measure in soda. Stir.
- 11Pour hot liquid into sugar mixture and whisk. Add vanilla. Lumps are not good.
- 12If 3 C of powdered sugar is enough to produce a almost-set pudding-like icing, it is read. If it seems thin, add another cup and whisk inches.
- 13Take cooled cookies and dip the tops into the icing, wiping off excess on side of bowl.
- 14Set on wax paper until icing is hard.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Aunt Sally (Or Sally Ann) Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.0 mg
- Sodium 227.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 24.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g