1 hr 30 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This is a Bob Chinn's Restaurant recipe found in the Chicago Sun-Times. While I haven't made this recipe, I've had this dish at his restaurant and it's outstanding. I plan to try this soon. Prep and cook times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dozen medium fresh clams, in the shell
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 3 slices fresh ginger, 1/8 inch thick, julienned
- 3 tablespoons chinese black beans (salted, actually a fermented soybean)
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 6 scallions, chopped and divided
- 8 -10 sprigs cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1To clean the clams of their sand, gently scrub the outside.
- 2Place in a bowl, cover with cold water, sprinkle with cornmeal and salt.
- 3let stand 1 hour, then rinse and drain.
- 4Place the clams in a single layer in a steamer over a pan or wok of boiling water and steam until the shells just open, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Remove the steamer from the wok immediately; do not overcook the clams.
- 6Heat corn oil in a deep saucepan or wok over medium heat.
- 7When the oil is hot but not smoking, stir in ginger, black beans, onion and garlic.
- 8Cook until the onion and garlic are golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in the stock, cook 2 minutes more.
- 10In a small bowl, slowly add 1 cup water to cornstarch and stir until smooth.
- 11Slowly add half of the cornstarch mixture to the wok and bring mixture to a boil.
- 12Sauce will thicken somewhat to the consistency of a glaze.
- 13Add more cornstarch mixture if necessary.
- 14Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, salt, pepper and half of the chopped scallions.
- 15Stir to mix.
- 16Add the reserved clams and stir just until coated.
- 17Remove from heat, place in serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining scallions and cilantro, if desired.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clams in Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.5
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 4339.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 26.7 g