Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes the best clam chowder soup! This is the one my family always asks for and says there's none better. The half & half makes the creamy rich texture we all love. The recipe is from an old friend I worked with years ago. I know you will enjoy this wonderful recipe!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 (6 ounce) cans minced clams (drained, save for broth)
- 4 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk (whole for creamy texture)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan; saute onions and celery until softened. Add clam juice, chicken broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and half & half; mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the broth mixture; add clams, seasonings and heat through. (Do not allow to boil).