Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Anita's Tried & True Recipes
- 3⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat margarine
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 ounces hot roll mix
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup hot water, 110-120 degrees
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine, softened
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- To prepare filling, combine cherries, cherry juice, cornstarch, 1 tablespoon margarine, walnuts, and almond extract in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until very thick and clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Prepare a six ounce custard cup with cooking spray; set aside.
- To prepare bread, combine hot roll mix, foil packet, granulated sugar, hot water, remaining margarine, and egg in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Onto a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a ball. Knead five minutes, or until smooth.
- Cover and let rest five minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 18 x 12" rectangle. Spread filling over dough within half inch of edges.
- Starting with 18 inch side, roll up tightly, pressing edges to seal.
- Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Join ends to form ring, placing prepared custard cup bottom side up in center of ring.
- Pinch ends of dough to seal.
- WIth scissors or sharp knife, cut from outside edge of ring to within half inch of inside of ring, making fourteen cuts 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches apart. Turn two cut sections on their sides in opposite directions to form heart shape. Repeat to make seven hearts.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes on wire rack set over large pan to which hot water has been added.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove custard cup. Cool completely.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk. Mix until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread, outlining hearts.