Recipe by Ciocia Laura
A delicious soup i invented from leftovers and a few additions. It's very forgiving to feel free to use a squirt of lemon for lime juice, use a different herb, try ginger for lemongrass, etc. Also, i used small handfuls, etc. and have estimated some ingredients.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
This was delicious! I bought already cubed and cleaned squash from Costco, roasted it one night and then used it for the soup when I had a chance to make it. I just sauteed up the shallots until translucent instead of leaving them in the slow cooker for an hour. Definitely a keeper! Made for PAC Spring '11
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme (removed from stalks)
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, roasted
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into several pieces
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat slow-cooker for 20 minutes on high. (optional).
- Add onions to pot *OR* carmelise onions in a frying pan. If carmelised (mine cooked with my roasted chicken recipe which i will post), add later with stock.
- Add butter and oil to slow-cooker.
- Chop shallots. Add to oil along with salt and pepper and thyme. Allow to cook until translucent. (i left them for an hour.).
- Add roasted butternut squash, broken into several pieces, stock and fresh lime juice.
- Cook all day or overnight on low setting.
- Remove lemongrass.
- Add coconut milk and blend thoroughly with immersion blender or blend in batches in a countertop blender.
- Serve hot with additional freshly ground black pepper, as desired. Freshly chopped coriander leaves would be a nice touch and taste!