Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for snack time or with a cup of tea. Clipped this out of a newspaper it was submitted by a Carolyn Wilson.
- Scald together sour cream, shortening and sugar.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Add baking soda, salt and egg.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add to above mixture.
- Mix in one cup of the flour at a time.
- Mix well and placed on floured board and let rise one hour.
- Roll out in a rectangle about 12x8 inches.
- Spread bottom half with butter, sugar and then sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Fold top over and cut in 1/2x9-inch lengthwise stripes.
- Twist twice and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Let rise one hour in a warm place.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove form pan and glaze with a powdered sugar icing.
My husband used up half my sour cream but I was making something else with pumpkin in it so I subbed pumpkin for half the sour cream. This was fabulous!!!!! For me it made one dozen twists.