Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A geat plain cake to serve with a coffee. Use a good quality gluten free flour blend to make this recipe. This recipe is adapted from one on the Orgran website. Use pure vanilla essence (gluten-free in Australia)
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk (125ml)
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 20 g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (335F).
- Grease and line cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Continue to beat whilst adding the beaten egg gradually. Mix in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour and milk. Fold until smooth.
- Place into prepared tin and smooth the top with spatula.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Brush with melted butter while still warm and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
There is no reason to avoid flavoring extracts, such as vanilla extract because they contain alcohol. The alcohol in these products is distilled and pure distilled alcohol is gluten free regardless of the starting material.
The vanilla essence is not gluten-free! I will substitute with fresh grated lemon zest! Thanks for posting this recipe.