1/7 Photos of Cinnamon Swirled Apple Bread
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Mommie's Note:
Yummy for the Tummy! I love cinnamon breads and this one takes it to the extreme of yummy! Makes two loaves. I'm not sure how it will freeze but makes a nice gift.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse sugar
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- 2In a saucepan heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons butter, and the salt until warm (120° to 130°) and until butter almost melts.
- 3Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs.
- 4Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly.
- 5Then beat on high speed 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in shredded apple.
- 7Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can.
- 8Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 9Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- 10Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- 11Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- 12Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 13Lightly grease two 8x4x2- or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- 14Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine chopped apple, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.
- 15Roll half of the dough to a 14x9-inch rectangle. Spread with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter; sprinkle with half of the filling.
- 16Beginning at both short ends, roll each end up, jelly-roll style, to center.
- 17Place loaf, rolled side up, in a prepared loaf pan. For second loaf, repeat with remaining dough, remaining butter, and remaining filling.
- 18Cover, let rise until almost double in size (about 30 minutes).
- 19Stir together egg white and water. Brush egg white mixture over tops of loaves; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 20Bake in a 375° oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap tops (if necessary, loosely cover with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning).
- 21Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Swirled Apple Bread
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.7
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 81.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g