Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Whole wheat and unbleached flour and added wheat germ and honey make these nutritiously delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup dry milk solids
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup raw wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup raw honey
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Using mixer bowl (with dough hook available) dissolve yeast in warm water using whisk, then whisk in dry milk until dissolved. Add 1 C whole wheat and 2 C unbleached, and whisk a few times until gluten starts to form (shiny strings visible). Cover and set aside until sponge rises, about 1/2 hour.
- Mix in wheat germ. Combine then add honey, oil and salt. Attach dough hook and add half the remaining flour. Run mixer until fairly well mixed, then add remainder of flour. Mix with dough hook until well combined, then turn out and knead by hand a few minutes.
- Put in a clean lightly oiled bowl, cover with wet towel or saran, and set in warm place to rise to double its size.
- Punch down and roll out into a rectangle approximately 20" x 14", spread butter and brown sugar right up to edges, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up and cut in 2" pieces and place in oversided muffin tins (lightly greased) or baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 15 - 18 minutes.
Made these Cinnamon Rolls tonight & they turned out AMAZING! Only thing that I changed was, when I rolled the dough out, it was about 14" x 36" or so inches (a little longer than recipe called for) so I cut it in half and made two "logs" which I then sliced into the 2" pieces. Also I baked for about 20 minutes. Oh, and instead of dry milk, i used half soy milk and the other half, a little more whole wheat flour.
They were delicious right out of the oven!