Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This was submitted by The Bellamy Brothers into a country singer cookbook. These are so nice and light and fluffy! They've been my favorite since I first tried them in 2000! Even better with extra icing! (A tip for you: to slice easily, use thread. Just wrap it around the dough once and pull both sides of thread in opposite directions.)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4-1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- Soften yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Heat milk, sugar, salt and oil till warm (115-120 degrees). Turn into large mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture. Stir in as much flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes total).
- Shape into a ball in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (about 1 hour). Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to an 18 by 12-inch rectangle. Spread melted margarine or butter over dough. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; add raisins and nuts, if desired. Sprinkle sugar mixture over dough. Roll up from one of the long sides. Seal.
- Slice into 12 pieces. Place, cut side down, in a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Cover, let rise in a warm place till nearly double (30 mins.). Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove from pans.
- For icing, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and enough water to make icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls.
- Makes 12 rolls.
The taste was pretty good but the rolls were pretty tough. It also made 18 good size rolls.