Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the L’Auberge Del Mar Resort and Spa in Del Mar, California, this is a great French Toast. You will probably have to buy the cinnamon-raisin bread at a bakery to get the thick slices.
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices cinnamon raisin bread, 1 1/2-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- maple syrup (optional)
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Add bread to egg mixture and let soak 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add bread to skillet.
- Cook until golden brown, turning once and adding more butter as needed, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake until bread puffs up and is firm in middle, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
Loved the flavors of this but mine didn't puff up. It had a hard crust which was better after it sat for a few minutes. Served with some homemade chokecherry syrup.