Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Lowfat Living cookbook. Wonderful spread on whole grain bread. Try this on slices of Granny Smith apples! Ideal for car trips, brunches or picnics!
Top Review by flower7
Yummy! I used currants (not chopped) and almonds with light cream cheese. I'm looking forward to having this on my morning toast instead of plain cream cheese. Thanks for the recipe CG!
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened (or 1 cup tofu cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (read *NOTE) or 1⁄4 cup currants (read *NOTE)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts or 1⁄4 cup toasted almonds or 1⁄4 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: If you wish, you can coarsely chop the raisins before adding to the other ingredients. I preferred the texture better when the raisins were chopped.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the raisins and nuts. Cover well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.