Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe- I think it was from an old "Victoria" magazine-but it's simply devine! (Update: This recipe has been proofread and bake-tested with no problems):)
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil (or less, if desired- I've used 3/4 cup with equally fine results)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese or 1⁄2 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- In a small bowl combine nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, zest and eggs. Set aside.
- In blender or food processor combine yogurt and cottage cheese until smooth. Add to sugar mixture.
- Stir in lemon juice and vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder and gradually stir into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter into the pan.Sprinkle with nut mixture. Spoon remaining batter over nuts.
- Bake 40-45 minutes till done (cake tester comes out clean).
- Cool 10 min in pan. Remove and let cool completely.
Really this is an excellent recipe!!! I had no problems with the cake's consistency & thought the directions were dead on!! I like to bake with both yogurt and cottage cheese...perhaps this is what may have confused another reviewer (???)- I adored the taste of the lemon juice and zest in the batter (!!!) and the brown sugar/ cinnamon/ pecan mixture throughout is simply heavenly!!! I followed the directions exactly as stated by RasberryCordial (even though my nature is to fool with things) and I'm so glad I did... I would not change a thing!!! A wonderful cake recipe to discover at the end of the ZWT3 game...sometimes the best of things ARE saved till almost last!!! I thank my team mate so much for sharing this delicious gem!!! This is a winner!!!
i made this twice and it didn't work at all for me either time, i'm sorry. don't know what is wrong with this recipe, the outside cooks overdone but the iside is uncooked and the entire cake falls apart after unmolding. first time i used a regular oven and tube pan, and 3/4 c oil. it totally fell apart, so i used the cooked parts, added pudding, whipped cream, chocolate and made a trifle. today i used my convection oven and a silicone bundt pan, looked cooked, but when i removed it after 45 minutes i could see the liquid interior oozing out so i put it in for 15 more minutes, it was still uncooked when i let it cool and tried to turn it out. this recipe is basically way too moist, perhaps there is a typo in the ingredients?