Recipe by Raspberry Cordial
I can't remember where I got this recipe- I think it was from an old "Victoria" magazine-but it's simply devine! (Update: This recipe has been proofread and bake-tested with no problems):)
Top Review by free-free
Really this is an excellent recipe!!! I had no problems with the cake's consistency & thought the directions were dead on!! I like to bake with both yogurt and cottage cheese...perhaps this is what may have confused another reviewer (???)- I adored the taste of the lemon juice and zest in the batter (!!!) and the brown sugar/ cinnamon/ pecan mixture throughout is simply heavenly!!! I followed the directions exactly as stated by RasberryCordial (even though my nature is to fool with things) and I'm so glad I did... I would not change a thing!!! A wonderful cake recipe to discover at the end of the ZWT3 game...sometimes the best of things ARE saved till almost last!!! I thank my team mate so much for sharing this delicious gem!!! This is a winner!!!
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil (or less, if desired- I've used 3/4 cup with equally fine results)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese or 1⁄2 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- In a small bowl combine nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, zest and eggs. Set aside.
- In blender or food processor combine yogurt and cottage cheese until smooth. Add to sugar mixture.
- Stir in lemon juice and vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder and gradually stir into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter into the pan.Sprinkle with nut mixture. Spoon remaining batter over nuts.
- Bake 40-45 minutes till done (cake tester comes out clean).
- Cool 10 min in pan. Remove and let cool completely.