Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
A variation of Peter Reinhart's Cinnamon Chocolate Babka Kranz Cake. This is cooked in a loaf pan as a coffee cake. Delicious and attractive cake/bread.
- 260 g all-purpose flour (2 cups, unbleached)
- 11 g instant yeast (3 2/3 teaspoons)
- 96 g buttermilk (scant 1/2 cup)
- 48 g butter (unsalted - 1/4 cup)
- 48 g sugar (scant 1/4 cup)
- 4 g vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 g salt (table salt, 2/3 teaspoon)
- 48 g egg yolks (from 2 large or jumbo eggs)
- 145 g semi-sweet chocolate chips (scant cup, frozen)
- 4 g cinnamon (ground - 1/2 teaspoon)
- 32 g butter (2 1/4 tablespoons, very cold)
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla and slightly beaten egg yolks and mix about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add flour and yeast and stir slightly.
- Add the milk and mix on low speed to make a soft dough, adding flour as needed or milk.
- Knead for 4 minutes before tipping onto counter.
- Stretch the dough into a rectangle and fold letter style top to bottom and side to side.
- Place dough in straight sided container, cover and rest 15 minutes.
- Stretch and fold again, resting 15 more minutes.
- Allow dough to rise 1.5 times its volume to double its volume.
- Roll dough out to a 12 inch by 12 inch rectangle.
- Make filling by placing frozen chocolate chips and cinnamon in a food processor and process to a grandular consistency. Add cold butter and pulse until well mixed.
- Spread mixture on dough, leaving a 1/4 inch rim uncoated.
- Roll dough into a rope like cylinder without stretching the length beyond 15 inches.
- Cut the rope into 2 15 inch half-cylinders and braid to form a loaf, folding in the ends. Place in an 8 inch x 4.5 inch loaf pan well oiled.
- Preheat oven to 350F while letting loaf rise to 1.5 times its volume.
- Brush with egg white glaze if desired and bake for 50 minutes to an hour and 10 minutes, until the internal temperature is 180F to 200°F.
- To prevent over browning due to the sugar in this recipe, cover loosely for at least half the time with aluminum foil while baking.
- Let cool completely before serving.