Recipe by COOKGIRl
Donate your boxed instant oatmeal to a food bank. Old fashioned oatmeal is the ticket. From www.aicr.org.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup pear juice
- 1 bartlett pear, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons raisins (or golden raisins)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I also tested this recipe using canned pears in their own juice and think canned pears would be a suitable substitute for fresh.
- In a cast iron skillet on medium-high (depends on your range)heat dry roast the oatmeal and cinnamon for approximately 4-5 mintes. DO NOT burn. Remove pan from heat.
- In a saucepan combine the pear nectar with 3/4 cup water. Cook slowly over medium heat just until bubbles appear around the edges. DO NOT boil.
- Add the toasted oats, the grated pear, and salt. Cook mixture stirring constantly, until the oats are tender; about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins just before serving.
- Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt.