Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Created in 1922 by a northern Greek immigrant who wanted to put some of the Old Country spices into chili. This chili can be eaten several ways. One-way chili: spiced chili alone. Two-way chili: chili on top of spaghetti. Three-way chili: chili on top of spaghetti, topped with shredded cheese. Four-way chili: chili on top of spaghetti, topped with shredded cheese and chopped onion. Five-way chili: chili on top of spaghetti, topped with shredded cheese, chopped onion, and beans.
Top Review by sulu
We liked this. Made it to the recipe apart from a bit less cinnamon and cloves which I thought would be too strong for us. Served it over rice with the onion and cheese. Served with plain yogurt and corn chips on the side.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup commercial barbecue sauce (a sweet, nonsmoky variety)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb thick spaghetti, cooked
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients; set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in ground beef; cook until meat is browned, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon.
- When the beef is browned, add in onion, garlic, spice mix; stir/saute 1 minute.
- Add in tomato sauce, water, BBQ sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chocolate, and bay leaves.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour (it should look more like a thick sauce than the chili most people are used to).
- Remove bay leaves.
- To serve five-way: distribute spaghetti among 8 bowls; spoon chili over spaghetti.
- Top chili with cheddar cheese, onion, and kidney beans.