Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A tender apple cake full of old-fashioned flavor and comfort. A special brown sugar sauce makes it even better! For a festive occasion, top this cake with a spoonful of real whipped cream!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff.) Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with the cake.
Great!! Thanks for posting!
This is a great cake! People will ask for the recipe.
This cake is very delicious and addicting! I found this recipe in Taste of Home and it won the grand prize for apple recipes. Made this for labor day, everyone enjoyed it, tastes similar to apple pie. Served with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream. Soo yummy!