Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tree preservative helps keep your cut Christmas tree fresh longer than if you only give it water, but why buy expensive tree preservative when you can make your own very cheaply with ingredients you probably already have in just a few minutes of time. I found this recipe/method on About.com
- 1 gallon water
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle corn syrup (or 4 teaspoons sugar dissolved in water or 1 can Sprite)
- 4 teaspoons chlorine bleach
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (optional) or 4 teaspoons vinegar (optional)
- A penny may be added to the sugar solution to act as a fungicide and acidifier.
- Mix together all ingredients and pour into tree stand.
- ** IMPORTANT NOTE: Bleach and vinegar produce toxic vapors when mixed. If you add vinegar or lemon juice, add it to the water rather than directly to the bleach.
- ADDITIONAL NOTE: Do Not Drink! If you plan on making enough tree or cut flower preservative to store, label your container and keep it out of reach of children and pets.