Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Though slated as a Christmas slice I think it could be served at any time of the year, from recipe+
Make and share this Christmas Slice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried mixed fruit
- 410 g fruit, mince
- 125 g butter (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 100 g chocolate chips (dark bits)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup brazil nut (coarsely chopped)
- Place dried fruit, fruit mince, butter, sugar, orange zest and juice in a large saucepan and over low heat stir until sugar dissolves and butter melts and then remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan forced.
- Lightly grease a 30x20cm (base measurement) slice pan and line with baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
- Stir chocolate and egg into fruit mixture.
- Sift flours over mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and the spread mixture into prepared pan and then top with nuts and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre combes out clean.
- Cool in pan and cut into pieces to serve.
10 stars - moist and delicious. Perfect for January or any time of year !
Wonderful slice:) Very easy to make and a winner in my home. A lovely cakey slice with the crunch from the nuts on top. You could use any nuts in place of the Brazil nuts- the one cup of nuts was a small packet 150 gram size. The fruit mince was a whole bottle and used the juice of 1/2 orange. Next time I make this slice, I will be trying it using a purchased general purpose gluten-free flour blend, so that I can enjoy a slice too ; Photo also being posted. Thanks for posting another great recipe Pat. Made for "Make my Recipe" tag game in the Aus/NZ Forum