1/1 Photo of Christmas Breakfast Strudels
This recipe from Ottawa TV chef Pam Collacott was a big hit at my house this past Christmas morning. It is so good, I wouldn't save it just for Christmas! I made it up the same day but you can prepare it up to the point where it goes into the oven and freeze it until you need it. Just add an extra 20 to 25 minutes to the baking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup smoked ham, diced
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons chives, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- 2Stir in the flour, then slowly whisk in the milk.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- 4Add the cheddar, salt and pepper and stir until the cheese melts.
- 5Chill until needed.
- 6In a large, non-stick skillet, scramble the eggs with the ham, parsley, chives and thyme, until just firm but still moist.
- 7Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- 8Add the egg mixture to the cheese sauce and mix well.
- 9Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 10Melt the remaining butter.
- 11Keep the unused phyllo under a damp towel until needed.
- 12Brush 1 sheet of phyllo lightly with melted butter and fold in half, long edges together.
- 13Brush with butter.
- 14Spoon 1/8 of the egg mixture onto one short end of the phyllo, leaving a 1" border around the filling.
- 15Sprinkle 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of the Parmesan on the egg mixture.
- 16Roll up as a jelly roll, tucking in the sides of the phyllo to completely enclose the egg mixture. Do not roll too tightly or the phyllo will split during baking.
- 17Place the strudel seam side down on a greased baking sheet and brush the top with butter.
- 18Repeat, making 7 more strudels.
- 19Bake in the centre of a preheated 375 degree F oven until puffed and golden, about 13 to 16 minutes.
- 20Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Breakfast Strudels
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 203.7 mg
- Sodium 394.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: